Thursday, June 19, 2014

A Day in the Life of an EO Intern

Good Evening All!

I've just been busy busy busy all day today!

Kelly and I began our morning in the print shop with Robert. Robert is probably one of the most interesting men I have ever met. He began working in the print shop for Alpha Delta Pi in the 80's and has been here ever since. [I think] he went to Stanford University (I may be completely off on that but if it wasn't there it was another incredibly smart school). So Robert lived in Australia for a bit, he taught a little and truly (I believe) lived his life to the fullest. He has so many incredibly stories that he is so willing to share. We have talked with him about tons and tons of things from books to motorcycles to circus art. (Fun Fact: He does silk work for fun! How awesome is that!) He was fascinated by the printing trade and just took it up and he loves it. It is really interesting to see what a positive impact Alpha Delta Pi can leave on people, even if they aren't members. He truly enjoys working for "the sisterhood" as he calls it. He refers to Debbie Black, his manager, as "Our Fearless Leader" and everyone in the office as Sister Sally, or Sister Amanda, or Sister ________. About a week ago (when we were shrink wrapping standards codes) he read a letter to us that he had written to one of Alpha Delta Pi's founders on Founder's Day a while back. It was to Octavia. It was adorable. He is extremely poetic. Instead of saying no, he always says "nay not so". His favorite book is Huck Finn.

Anywho, today we were working in the print shop. Last week when we were in there, we shrink wrapped the standards codes for every single chapter! There was a ton! This week we were working on Ritual Books. We had to stack the sections together and shrink wrap over 500 Ritual Books. Let me tell you, it's very time consuming. And after awhile, the shrink wrap roller can get heavy and you start to get a pretty good arm workout in!

Later, we went inside to work on Violets for my Sister for Leadership Seminar next week! The Alpha Delta Pi Foundation sells violets for $5 a pop that you can send to sisters who have influenced you or that you just want to say "hey, I appreciate you!" to. There are SO many.

After violets, we went and sat on the phone at the front desk for a bit. I am getting super comfortable with that which is great because I used to hate hate hate talking on the phone. I think I'm pretty good at it now ☺

Later, I went to work on manuals with Joanie. Basically, we have to update all the manuals to make sure they don't contradict and information for a specific topic is only in one place and not five different places. I sorted through the Total Membership Education Tools manual today. It took awhile but I definitely think that it will make a huge impact for chapters when they are looking for information and this way, they won't have confusion in how they are supposed to complete tasks.

After work today, we got to meet and have dinner with Ms. Tammie Pinkston. She is the International Grand President. We sat and talked for hours. She is truly an amazing woman. We talked not only about ADPi but also about the business of the world and in general and even just life. She has such an amazing outlook on life. She knows who she is and where she comes from. I always try to live my life without regrets and learn from mistakes I've made, rather than feel sorry for myself about them. That is something Ms. Pinkston prides herself on. She said, "I have no regrets, I've made mistakes, and I learn from them." I just think that that is a wonderful perspective to have. Another thing that I think is amazing about this woman is that she doesn't just whine and complain when something is happening that she doesn't like. If she thinks something needs to be changed, then you better believe she's diving right into the project and willing to spend her time to fix what needs fixing. She understand the value in doing and I truly appreciate to have that quality in a role model.

She talked about one other thing that I think is critical in being part of an organization, business, etc. "Leave the organization better than when you came to it." I think that a lot of times people get caught in the credit when sometimes things take time. Regardless of who gets credit, I think that if you have a sound way to better your organization, then by golly, you better do it! Why would you seek to stay the same. There is always room for growth and improvement and as members, it is our duty to make our organization the best it can be while we are there.
I think that Ms. Pinkston is an incredible role model (with an incredible wardrobe!). I feel so lucky to have had several opportunities to meet and chat with her about life and Alpha Delta Pi.

All in all, I'd say today was a perfect day here at Executive Office.

Signing off!
Loyally,
Paige ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment