Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Apple Tree My Prison

duh duh duhhhhh.
So it's finals week. And its 4 in the morning. And I obviously should be studying. But really, who does that anymore these days?? So I thought I'd just see if I have anything interesting to say instead. However, i don't think I do.
Really though, I know about zero people who actually, legitimately study, weeks in advance for tests, finals, etc. Other than that, everyone crams. Maybe that works? Hey, I do it so I should know right? Ehh.. debatable.
I'm moving out of my favorite place in the world tomorrow! The dorms! Oh how I will miss them so!
and here's your sign.
It is amazing to me how quickly this year went by. It seems only yesterday I was at my first day of training camp for soccer, and now I'm here, already preparing for next year. And by that I don't mean right now. Obviously, since its 4 a.m. and I'm "studying for biology." I really should be, I could pull out an A. All of it is stuff I should know though. The questions won't be anything like what's in the book, or what we talked about in class, as usual, so I guess we'll see how it goes?
Oh, and there's still psychology left to do. Except that's a partner final. And I'm actually really good at that class. Like... really good. Which is kind of weird to me. Good thing there's not much to do with psychology unless you get a doctorate. Not about that life. But I do think that it is incredibly interesting. I however, am in search of something that is both practical and satisfying. Which leaves me very slim pickings...

Let's say life is an apple tree, and the apples in this case are jobs. I don't want to pick an apple from the bottom of the tree, everyone picks those, they aren't anything special, just your generic red apple. They're so easy to get to, everyone has them. Your general business and marketing degrees, public relations, you get the gist. Why would I want that apple. Then there's the apples at the top of the tree. Psychologists, philosophers, those types of professions. How often do those get picked??? Rarely. Not many people are in search of those apples. We're looking for some middle ground (or middle tree) here. Something not everyone gets, but not something outrageous. However, keep in mind, I'm not going to want to cut up this apple or make sure it is approved by the FDA, I don't want to argue or persuade anyone for or about my apple. I just want to eat it and enjoy it. Is that too much to ask? If only there was an appledicator (like an eggdicator from Willy Wonka...anyone? no? okay.) that was specific to me. I could pick any apple, set it on the appledicator, and it would toss any one that was not the perfect job (apple) for me. Now I'm really not sure where this metaphor is going... but really, shouldn't we have already come up with something that assesses each person's strengths and weaknesses along with their likes and dislikes and create (or even just find) the perfect job for them? That would be nice to have.

Anyone read Coleridge's The Lime Tree Bower My Prison? It's actually pretty good. The apple tree is my prison. And I'm hoping that soon a rook will fly by and give me some answer or direction or something to get out of this prison. Yeah if you think about it, my weird metaphor could be really beautiful. I can pick absolutely any apple I want. Look at how many there are, all so sweet and crispy, all perfect and unique. That's beautiful right? NO. Why can't one just hit me on the head and say, "Paige, this is what you are supposed to do with your life, get started." I'm not a decision maker. So many apples, so many choices, that is my prison. I can't escape decision making.

Anywho, now that I've gone off on some random tangent about apples and my career and I'm sure it made little to no sense to the .000001% of the population reading this (thanks by the way ☺) I think it's time for me to get back to work.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away?

No comments:

Post a Comment